Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Reflection



I took a month PTO to volunteer in Haiti. I got back a few weeks ago and am still having difficulty returning to my pre Haiti routine. I really am trying to get back to 'normal'.

For nearly a month I lived outside on a bunk covered by a mosquito net, listening to the symphony of 100 snoring volunteers with the occasional chiming in of goats and chickens. Accommodations in Léogâne, Haiti were extreme, no roof, no flushing toilets, no showers except by bucket, extreme heat and a tasty diet of beans, rice, and one tomato every day. It was like a camping trip gone wild.

But, at that time there was no where else that I would have rather been than in Haiti doing what I could to help those who have lost so much.

It still brings tears to my eyes to think about all the suffering that I saw. Even as I write this, I see the faces of the children left orphaned and homeless from the quake, the little kid who I bought a coke for on my last night there, the pregnant woman waiting in line at the tent hospital who despite her situation still managed to smile at me. I have a great admiration for the people of Haiti- and they will always be in my thoughts.

0 comments:

Post a Comment